Updating this blog has been very low on priority. There just haven’t
been enough hours in a day and to be honest, after a long day in the office I
do not often feel like spending some more time behind a PC when I get home.
Instead of trying to catch up and fill the gap, I’ll just start again with
what’s happening now.
The most
surprising news is probably that I have changed employers. After four years
with GHD, I am now back at my previous employer Aurecon. A very weird concept
for me but here in Australia going back to a previous employer is quite common.
The ‘going away’ drinks with GHD colleagues on my last day was very nice and a
great end to my time there.
![]() |
| Tehane, Asabi and me |
At home
things have been slow. Peter had put his back out again and although he was
luckily not bed ridden for long; recovery seemed to take longer than before. But
at last, he is good again and things should hopefully start progressing again
soon. In addition to his back issue, it also has been ‘bloody hot’ and it was
quite unworkable during most of daylight hours.
I am hoping
that the two of us getting hurt at the same time is not becoming a trend. Just
after Peter hurt his back, I was trampled by an exited foal at the Hanoverian
foal assessment. Dyonah knocked me over and then just ran over me. It was not
intentional but it hurt anyway.
| Naughty Dyonah; cant even taken a proper photo! |
| More naught Dyonah |
Thank
goodness it missed my head and I got away without any permanent damage. Not
that I was very pleased with my massive swollen knee and not being able to ride
a horse for the past month!
But luck
might have that a friend was quite interested in riding Orenda for me so at least
Orenda didn’t get another holiday. In fact, she actually got put to work more
than I would have time for anyway.
Ivanka has
been taking Orenda to social riding days and even her first competition the
other weekend. It was only an introductory walk/ trot test but Orenda is
proving to be a very sensible well behaved horse that does not get too upset by
what is happening around her (except for prams that contain scary monsters). Not only that, she also did a
relaxed test and got rewarded a 2nd place by the judge scoring
66.5%.
Now before
I sign off, I should share that we had rain yesterday and overnight! After a
terribly dry summer with brown paddocks, no grass and lots of dust, this was
very welcome. Of course the rain always interferes with our plans but that just
proves that you can’t plan life and have to make the most out of the situation
as is. Nevertheless, I am very excited about the rain as with a bit of luck,
some grass will actually survive till next rain season.
