About a fortnight ago, I noticed that our Rhode island chicken started moulting.
Well she hastily did that and lost so many feathers over one weekend that she looks horribly diseased.
Nothing is wrong but the poor girl can't fly anymore and thus can't get on the roost at the night. She is heavily frustrated about it but has succumbed to spending the nights in the laying box instead.
Now that the new feathers are growing, it looks rather funny. I couldn't get close enough for a detailed picture as the chickens were a bit flighty. It already took some breakfast cereal to tempt them to stay around for their pictures to be taken.
Anyway, getting side tracked here, the new feathers are still developing and now look like a collection of straws with little plumes of hair sticking out at the end. Nature is quite amazing.
For those wondering why I haven't posted for a little while; there's is a good reason for it but I will fill you in a little later.
For now a picture or two of our flock.